Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 sweet potatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3 slices of unsmoked bacon, diced small
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 sticks of celery, sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled & sliced
- 1/2 small butternut squash or pumpkin, peeled & diced
- 350ml / 1.5 cups lamb stock (can also use beef, chicken or vegetable)
- Salt & pepper
- 400ml / 1 3/4 cups coconut milk (sugar & additive free)
- 1/4 bunch spring onions, chopped for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C / 200°C fan assisted / 350°F
2. Place sliced sweet potato on a baking tray with 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil. Bake for 25 minutes or until soft.
3. Cook bacon slices in a frying pan over a medium heat for about 6-8 minutes until crispy. Then set aside.
3. Add the coconut oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, celery and carrots to the pan and saute until softened. Add salt and pepper.
4. Next, add the stock and cook for a few minutes.Then take off the heat and blend together using a hand blender.
5. Add the cooked sweet potato to the pan and blend again until smooth. Place pan back on a medium heat and add the coconut milk. Stir for a few more minutes then it’s ready to serve.
6. Serve with the bacon pieces and spring onion on top.
Recipe by Lorraine Biddle