This Spinach & Bacon Spanish Tortilla recipe is a great alternative breakfast. It’s easy to make and really tasty without really having to do a lot of cooking. If you have some leftovers from breakfast, it’s also really tasty eaten cold for lunch. It’s low in carb, full of protein and high in good fat. For a Paleo vegetarian option, just replace the bacon with sliced peppers. Also, if your tolerant to dairy add some grated cheese on top of the mixture 5 minutes before taking out of the oven.
Prep. Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 Minutes
Ready In: 40 Minutes
Easy – Tried & Tested
- 4 slices of unsmoked bacon (cut in to strips)
- 5 medium sized eggs (preferably free range)
- 350g of frozen spinach (thawed)
- 1 medium onion – Diced
- 6 Mushrooms – Chopped
- Butter for cooking & greasing
- Salt & pepper for seasoning
1. Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a baking dish with butter.
2. Heat a frying pan with some butter for a minute. Then add the onions. Cook for 2 minutes or until onions are softened.
3. Add the bacon strips to the pan. Keep stirring and cook for about 4-5 minutes or until bacon is nearly cooked.
4. Next, add the mushrooms and spinach. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Then pour the mixture into the greased dish.
5. In a measuring jug, crack the 5 eggs and beat using a fork. Add some salt and pepper. Pour the beaten eggs evenly on to the spinach and bacon mixture.
6. Cook in the oven for about 20 minutes or until it has set.
Serve with grilled tomatoes and round lettuce leaves.