Our Menu Philosophy – No Calorie Counting
Our menu at Primal Retreat is based on the Paleo diet (should be called the Paleo Lifestyle). We don’t calorie count or restrict, and we don’t starve our guests. The food we serve is home made, extremely nutritious, healthy and tasty. It’s simple real food that will leave you full with a feeling of satisfaction & well being.
Paleo Weight Loss Menu – Default Menu
We serve as standard a low carbohydrate Paleo menu which is highly effective for healthy weight loss. The are numerous studies showing the health benefits of low carbohydrate diets. Here is a link to 23 studies showing superiority of low carbohydrate diets v low fat diets for weight loss and health markers. All of the studies are randomised controlled trials, the gold standard of science. All are published in respected, peer-reviewed journals.
What Will You Be Eating?
Our menu is made up of the following foods:
- 3 large tasty and nutritious Paleo meals per day
- Wild caught fish
- Fresh meats (e.g. beef)
- Free range poultry
- Fresh vegetables & salad
- Herbs and spices
- Traditional cooking oils (E.g. Coconut oil, Ghee, Butter, Lard, Olive Oil)
- Unlimited tea, herbal tea, fresh coffee, instant coffee are all available
- Bottled water, filtered water are all available
- Optional dairy – A little milk is available for hot drinks. Optional cheese with some meals.
- Optional condiments: Salt, pepper, chilli & herb infused olive oil, balsamic vinegar,
Note: We check with you before you attend regarding allergies or food dislikes and will adapt your menu accordingly. Feel free to contact us if you have further questions regarding this.
What’s not included – What we don’t serve:
- Processed foods
- Grains (e.g. wheat, bread, breakfast cereal, cereal bars, barley, rice)
- Legumes (e.g. kidney beans, lentils)
- Soy, tofu
- Processed vegetable oils, seed oils or margarines
- Fruit juices or squash
- Artificial sweeteners
- Natural sweeteners
- Low fat meals
Optional – Athletes Menu
Some people require or want a higher level of starch carbohydrate, for example, if you are already lean, athletic & active, or weight loss isn’t your primary goal or focus. Upon agreement, and subject to availability, we can serve a portion of potato, sweet potato or white rice with your evening meal. Everything else about this menu remains the same as the default menu above.
Breakfast – Omelette With Roasted Peppers and Tomatoes
Lunch – Roasted Chicken With Salad
Dinner – Wild Alaskan Salmon, Steamed Broccoli, Cauliflower Mash, Home Made Guacamole
You can find more pictures of our Paleo dishes in our gallery.