This Paleo Cottage Pie recipe is delicious and an excellent comfort food. If possible, use fresh thyme rather than dried. This recipe uses all fresh whole ingredients which really makes it difficult to not have a tasty meal. Some recipes add red wine to the beef filling – I didn’t but feel free if you think it needs it. For those of you with a dairy intolerance you could use coconut milk instead of butter & cream to make the cauliflower mash.
Prep. Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Ready In: 1 hour
- Mince Beef (800g ) – if you use mince lamb then it’s a Paleo Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 onion – chopped
- 3 garlic cloves – crushed
- 2 carrots – diced
- Handful of mushrooms
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup of chicken or beef broth
- Spices – 1 tablespoon turmeric, paprika & cumin
- Thyme – I used fresh but dried is also fine
- Butter/Coconut Oil for cooking
- 1 cauliflower – break into chunks for steaming
- Full Fat Cream (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
1. Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius
2. Steam the cauliflower chunks in a steamer until tender. Once ready, in a bowl add some butter and cream (optional) with the cooked cauliflower. I then used a hand blender to blend into a mash – you can also use a food processor too. Add some salt & pepper if you wish. Set aside while you make the beef filling.
Cooking the Beef Filling
3. Add some butter to a frying pan on a medium-high heat – add the onions and carrots. Stir fry until soft.
4. Add the beef, cook for 5-10 minutes while continuing to stir.
5. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further few minutes. Separate the eggs and add in the egg whites.
7. Turn the heat down slightly and leave to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Pour the beef filling into an oven proof dish and cover the top with the cauliflower mash.
9. Bake for about 25-30 minutes.