According to Mark Hyman, MD, it’s the most important molecule you need to stay healthy and prevent disease and you have probably never heard of it. Dr. Hyman says this antioxident is the secret to prevent aging, cancer, heart disease, dementia, and necessary to treat everything from autism to Alzheimer’s disease.
Glutathione is a simple molecule that is produced naturally in your body. Unfortunately, poor diet, pollution, toxins, stress, infections and aging all deplete your levels of glutathione. Mark Hyman explains that glutathione is a combination of 3 simple building blocks of protein or amino acids – cysteine, glycine and glutamine.
Glutathione is critical for these reasons:
- It recycles antioxidants
- Helps your immune system to fight infections.
- Critical for immune function and controlling inflammation.
Mark Hyman has discovered in treating very ill patients with functional medicine over the last 10 years, glutathione deficiency is found in nearly all patients. These include patients with chronic fatigue syndrome, heart disease, cancer, chronic infections, autoimmune disease, diabetes, autism, Parkinson’s disease, arthritis, asthma, kidney problems, liver disease and lots more.
Eating foods that boost your Glutathione levels include:
- Brussels sprouts
- Red peppers
Exercise can also naturally increase your glutathione levels.
- Increases energy
- Slows down the aging process
- Reduces joint & muscle discomfort
- Strengthens immune system
- Detoxifies the liver & cells
- Reduces the effects of stress
- Improves the skin
- Improves quality of sleep
- Improves mental focus and clarity
- Athletic performance & recovery